Being successful in life comes down to a lot of things, and one of them is how mentally strong we are. But we aren’t all born with the ability to just “be strong,” and beefing up that brain requires exercise, just like any other muscle in our bodies. Strengthen your mental resolve by following these five tips:
- Stop Feeling Sorry for Yourself. If you are prone to sitting around in a funk about how bad life has treated you, it’s time to get up, dust the dirt off, and move on. Getting stuck in the past only serves to keep us there, and moving forward means learning from our mistakes and misfortune, understanding that life isn’t always fair, and then rising above it.
- Stay in Control of How You Feel. While others’ actions and attitudes are ultimately out of our control, there is one person we can always hold power over: ourselves. Don’t let others “make” you feel bad, and remember that you are always in control of your outlook and attitude. Don’t worry about things you can’t control.
- Understand that Change Is Inevitable. Whether or not we like it, change is a necessary and inevitable fact of life. Mentally strengthen yourself by being flexible and even welcoming positive changes. Adapting to different circumstances gracefully is a valuable skill to have.
- Don’t Try to Please Everyone. Remember when we said that you’re not in control of how others feel or act? That’s still true; so it makes little sense to always try and please everyone. Do your best to be kind and fair, but realize that in many situations not everyone will be happy. And that’s ok. Learning how to deal with people that are unhappy is essential, especially if you are a manager.
- Take Calculated Risks. Always making the safe choice may protect us from some harm, but it will likely also mean missing out on some great opportunities. When faced with taking a risk, calculate the risks and benefits before making your decision; and if your calculations make the risk well worth it, then take it.